As a personal trainer, fitness instructor, and health educator in Chicago, I have worked with many clients with a broad range of health and wellness goals. An ongoing theme I have observed is that many people think health and wellness is solely related to working out and diet. They don’t realize that health and wellness is related to all aspects of their well-being. Health refers to COMPLETE physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. Wellness is the interactive process of teaching and learning to become AWARE of and PRACTICE making healthy choices. Therefore, my role as a fitness enthusiast is to teach and promote wellness, so in turn people will be healthier! Health and wellness are key elements in the full experience of happiness. Who doesn’t strive to lead this kind of lifestyle? There are three steps that will lead you towards the path to overall wellness: Education, Prevention, and Intervention (EPI). Below is a break-down of EPI-Education, Prevention, and Intervention .
Do you know how to take care of YOU on a REGULAR basis to maintain a good balance of health and wellness?
Ask yourself the following:
- Do I know what foods I need to eat to provide my body with daily nourishment?
- Do I know how to be physically active at least 30 minutes everyday?
- Do I know how to make healthy lifestyle choices at least 80% of the time? (This includes personal relationships, taking care of yourself, treating others the way you would expect to be treated, financial
contentment, career satisfaction, helping and contributing to others)
- Do I know how to find balance and happiness mentally, physically, and socially?
Do you practice the appropriate prevention measures to maintain a good balance of health and wellness?
Ask yourself the following:
- Am I eating foods that provide my body with daily nourishment?
- Am I physically active everyday for at least 30 minutes?
- Am I making healthy lifestyle choices at least 80% of the time? (This includes personal relationships, taking care of yourself, treating others the way you would expect to be treated, financial contentment,
career satisfaction, helping and contributing to others)
- Am I contentedly balanced physically, mentally, and socially?
If you answered all of the above questions with the answer YES then CONGRATULATIONS because you are on your way to living a balanced and healthy lifestyle. Continue doing what you are doing and sharing your
happiness with all those around you! PAY IT FORWARD because this world is full of too much negativity. Make that smile contagious!!!
If you have some doubt when answering the above questions then no need to get frustrated. Start by educating yourself and using that knowledge to take preventative measures. However, if you are already educated yet not taking the appropriate preventative measures then slap yourself a few times, take
a cold shower, stick your head in the toilet and stop making excuses. Start practicing and implementing because this is YOUR year to take care of YOU!